top of page

Visit Canada

What do you need to visit Canada? 

Before visiting Canada, most people need a visa OR an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada – not both. Some people may only need their valid passport.


Find out if you need a visa to travel to Canada: HERE

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. An eTA is electronically linked to a traveller’s passport.

Validation: for up to five years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first.  

NOTE: If you get a new passport, you need to get a new eTA.

With a valid eTA, you can travel to Canada as often as you want for short stays (normally for up to six months at a time). 

Who needs an eTA to travel to Canada?

  1. Visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through a Canadian airport. 

  2. Lawful permanent residents of the U.S. who fly to or transit through a Canadian airport.

Applying for an eTA is a simple online process that takes just a few minutes to complete. Most applicants get their eTA approval (via an email) within minutes. However, some requests can take several days to process if you're asked to submit supporting documents.

To complete the form, you will need your passport, a credit or debit card, and an email address. You must also answer a few questions. 

  • Apply online for an eTA: HERE

  • Check your eTA status: HERE

Canadian Government Fee 

Electronic Travel Authorization: $7

Visitor visa (including super visa) - per person: $100

Visitor visa – per family (1 fee per family of 5 or more people): $500

Extend your stay as a visitor – per person: $100

Restore your status as a visitor: $200

bottom of page