top of page

Study in Canada

Prepare to study in Canada 

In Canada, each province and territory is in charge of their own education system.

Primary and secondary schools

Primary usually means grades 1-8 and secondary usually means grades 9-12.  All primary and secondary schools in Canada can enrol international students.

NOTE: Find out special rules for minor children studying in Canada

Post-secondary schools


Post-secondary schools are:

  • colleges

  • universities

  • private career colleges and

  • vocational and technical schools.

Get more information on post-secondary schools:

Study Permit

The study permit is a document we issue that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada.  If you need a study permit, your acceptance letter must be from a DLI. All primary and secondary schools in Canada are DLIs. Not all post-secondary schools in Canada are DLIs. 

Designated learning institutions list HERE

How to Apply for a Study Permit

Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. Make sure you have all the documents you need before you apply. You should apply before you travel to Canada. 

You need these documents to apply for a study permit:


You may also need

For more information: HERE 

Extend your study permit


The expiry date on your study permit (which can be found in the top right corner of your permit) tells you when you have to stop studying and leave Canada. This date is usually the length of your study program, plus 90 days. The extra 90 days gives you time to prepare to leave Canada or to extend your stay in Canada.

For more information: HERE

Did you know? 

In Canada, international students can obtain an open work permit, namely, post-graduation work permit (PGWP), after graduating from eligible Canadian designated learning institutions so that they can gain Canadian work experience. 

Canadian Government Fee 

Study permit (including extensions) – per person: $150

Restore your status as a student: $350

bottom of page